Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Life Coach

It's the beginning of the week, and I am pumped. We had a couple of great meets this weekend, and I am so proud of all my swimmers! As a swim coach, it is my job to see that my athletes are performing at their best, practicing at their best, and being the best that they can be in all that they do. I am an encourager. I am (or try to be) a solid rock of common sense and moral values. I am a life coach.
Blue Waves is more than just about swimming. Every day we teach the kids not only lessons on how to swim more efficiently, we teach them a small lesson about themselves. Today's quote for the team is: "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...You're right." -Henry Ford. Instead of giving yourself reasons why you can't, give yourself reasons why you can. As a coach, I can't count the number of times a swimmer has told me they "can't" do something. Whether it's a pushup, or it's butterfly, it is my job to help them understand the word "can't" should not be in their vocabulary. Oftentimes when a swimmer is faced with something challenging, or something they feel they are not good at, instead of taking the risk, and taking a leap of faith, they cower behind the excuse "I can't."
I believe that I can do anything I set my mind to. Nothing is impossible unless I make it impossible. So how to make the kids understand that? By believing in them, and helping them to take that risk. For the little eight year old girl who did her first fifty butterfly in a race this weekend: Yes, she was nervous, but she still stepped up on the blocks and did it. For the young swimmer learning how to do a flip turn for the first time: You may not get it perfectly the first time, but your coach believes that if you keep trying, and do your best each time you try, you will eventually succeed. And when you do, your coach will be right there to say, "I knew you could do it. Great job! Keep on doing it." 
Too often in today's society kids are given the chance to take the easy way out. The sport of swimming is not for those that wish to take that easy road. When an athlete comes to the pool they should not expect their coach to be soft on them. The coach is there to push the athlete physically, and mentally. Each day we strive to keep the kids focused not only on what we do in the water, but how we think, and how we decide on the choices we make. If we believe that we can't do something, then we won't. We have put in place a mental wall that the athlete must climb, and we as their coach must help them to overcome. It slows the progress of the swimmer. The athletes that believe the can do something, they strike out with confidence, and hopefully determination that today they can and will be their best. They see a challenge not as a road block, but as a spring board to something greater that they cannot yet see. As a coach, I enjoy setting up spring boards for my kids, and then teaching them how to take that leap of faith. 
Whether you are an athlete or not, it is what you believe, and what you do with that belief that will define you. So today I challenge you: Take action. Don't let the word "can't" be a roadblock. Be your own life coach today.   

No comments:

Post a Comment